Sunday 12 August 2012

Work in Progress

I have been wanting to do a painting of the cottages at Boulmer, Northumberland for over a year.  I didn't like my first attempt, and it went the way of any of my paintings that don't make the grade....recycled into another painting. Lately I have been looking at the work of the great Joan Eardley 1921-1963. Her amazing paintings of the cottages at Catterline reminded me of the ones at Boulmer. Inspired by her work I decided to have another go. 


I am sure she just painted straight onto the canvas but I like to draw the important features first. I am trying to keep the painting loose and the colours muted and although I have been inspired by Joan I am very pleased with the fact that the painting is still very much a Sue Nichol!

No comments:

Post a Comment